Subject: Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposedtosort?

Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposedtosort?

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:52:21 -0000

> alex wallis wrote:
>>

>> Now this idea I like, personally I think sorting should work the same way
>> it does in windows.
>>
> Windows isn't FLOSS and I very much doubt their algorithm is public.
I see, I didn't no this, just out of interest what is floss exactly?
>> I guess if people don't like the way files are sorted they can always
>> rename them.
>>
> No, actually they can't if the sorting tries to be too intelligent. By
> this argument, we should just keep our original sort and turn off all
> others, since it at least will never try to "guess" anything, and strictly
> use the filenames. It's the only way for renaming to be predictable and
> consistent.

I think rockbox should include some sort of sorting, and not literally use
the file names. Before 8314 it used to drive me mad that sorting went 1 10
etc. I really like the fact numbers are now sorted in the correct order. I
can't really enter into the sorting debate very much as I hate leading 0s in
file names, I like my file names to mostly be simple either being labled 1,
2,3 or 01, 02, 03.
if file names include .s I like 1.1 1.2 1.3 etc.
I make a point of removing leading 0s from names.