Subject: Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposed to sort?

Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposed to sort?

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_fhtw-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 02:15:52 +0100

Am 19.03.2009 01:52, schrieb Paul Louden:
> Thomas Martitz wrote:
>>

>> I agree. We shouldn't force a sorting which is contradictory to the
>> sorting of all major file browsers.
> And yet every proposal so far is to pick and choose which aspects of
> major file browser sorting we like, and throw out the rest. If we're
> going to use them to justify changes, we should strive to actually
> mimic them. Having part of their functionality, and not all of it,
> will lead to expected behaviour that's missing.
Which we would be doing by ignoring leading zeros. It's not about
mimicing, but rather be consistent with what the vast majority of people
knows of their PC browser.

> Meanwhile, if we just make ours simple and explicit, people won't
> expect other aspects of it that are missing.

That's totally flawed reasoning in this case. Use ascii-sort if you want
simple and explicit. And, this is basically "Having part of their
functionality, and not all of it, will lead to expected behaviour that's
missing." at it's best.

Oh, and they surely will expect that what they know from Windows
explorer or nautilus, regardless of which algorithm we use.