Subject: Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposed to sort?

Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposed to sort?

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 20:18:38 -0500

Thomas Martitz wrote:

> That's totally flawed reasoning in this case. Use ascii-sort if you want
> simple and explicit. And, this is basically "Having part of their
> functionality, and not all of it, will lead to expected behaviour that's
> missing." at it's best.
No, this isn't. This is "having intuitive handling of numbers as
normally written by people." People don't normally precede numbers with
a 0 unless there's a specific reason to.

> Oh, and they surely will expect that what they know from Windows
> explorer or nautilus, regardless of which algorithm we use.
So we can either make it clear it's different and "our own way" or we
can try to make it similar with the differences more subtle and thus
more likely to be surprising (in a bad way). Which one's more fair to
users - one where they know it's different, or one where they don't?