Subject: Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposed to sort?

Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposed to sort?

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:59:18 +0100

Paul Louden wrote:
> The problem is, now you're arguing "mathematical rules." We've already
> established people don't think in mathematical rules. I doubt people see
> "04" and think "four". They think "oh-four." The zero is not an
> insignificant and ignored digit in the way people speak, read, or think
> the number. Except in math. But we're talking "normal people" here.

You have a point there. I'm afraid most of my friends don't count as
"normal" people. ;-)

> Instead of us trying to think about them, if we're going to base this on
> "normal people" let's do a poll. At least this way we're not
> extrapolating our opinion on them based on *mathematics*, something few
> people think in.

Or, instead of doing a poll, why not do it in the same way as the major
file browsers do? After all, "normal" people would probably expect
Rockbox to sort the files in the same order as the computer file browser
does, wouldn't they?

Linus