Subject: Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposed to sort?

Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposed to sort?

From: Thomas Martitz <>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:04:13 +0100

Bryan VanDyke wrote:
> Thomas Martitz wrote:
>> Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
>>> That's an interesting observation. I believe leading zeroes are
>>> treated like whitespace in the current code, but in this case I think
>>> that the final zero should be kept.
>>> Linus
>> That's not trivial, and adds complexity. You basically need to look at
>> the current, the next, and one more for this, instead of just the
>> current char.
> Actually it not that bad.
> Pseudo code:
> get current
> get next
> while (current != null && next != null && current == '0' && next is a
> number)
> {
> current = next
> next = get next
> }
Now imagine this for every char in a string, and for every string in a
file list (with some 100 files). It's three-times (or even more) more
complexity than just.
while (is_zero(a))
    a = next;

We're on embedded, and thus slow systems. Your would surely work well on
a desktop app, but for mp3-players we need fast and small code. The gain
has to justify the code, and I don't think it does it in this example.