Subject: Re: Default on or off

Re: Default on or off

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:07:33 -0000 (UTC)

Paul Louden wrote:
> Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I believe it should. I think the average user would appreciate if
>> it by default sorted in the same way as most modern file browsers do,
>> i.e natural sorting.
>>
> I agree here - Generally we shouldn't change existing functionality. But
> in this case we added an option that is supposed to help _less_
> technical users. The kind of person who prefers the old sorting will
> (theoretically) be the kind of person who will actually pay attention to
> the changes before he updates (or check them as soon as he notices his
> files sorting differently). We have a published changelog. Meanwhile if
> we don't change the default, plenty of users will never know there's a
> new sort and will continue filing bug reports against the ASCII sorting.

Just to complete the circle here, I agree as well, now that the original
branch of this thread has apparently reached consensus on exactly how the
natural sorting should work, which now works for the corner case that I
defined by my usage.
--
Mike Holden
http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted