Subject: Re: Default on or off

Re: Default on or off

From: Jonas Häggqvist <>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:40:09 +0100

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:

>> I would vote for new features which change existing functionality to be
>> disabled by default. Do we have a general policy on this?
> There is no written policy, but the general opinion among us developers
> is that the defaults should be as "sensible" as possible for the
> first-time user.

I agree. As Paul said, when adding a setting, the default should be chosen
using the following considerations:

1. Will changing the default behaviour help new and less technical users?
If so, change it.
2. If not, keep the existing behaviour.

The sorting change is a case of the first.

Jonas Häggqvist