Subject: Rockbox as an Application and Google summer of code.

Rockbox as an Application and Google summer of code.

From: Bryan Childs <godeater_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:14:21 +0100

Ladies,

For those of you not currently paying attention a brief summary :

At time of writing we have three current applications for Google Summer of
Code projects, one of which is a very nicely written one for further
developing Rockbox as an Application. During review of this, it's been
pointed out (by the ever insightful linuxstb aka Dave Chapman) that whilst
we've had this on our list of "Stuff we'd like to see happen" for a longish
time now, there's no real clear idea of what it is we want exactly. The
current feeling amongst those that have discussed this thorny issue is that
we should perhaps try and have some discussion around that before GSoC
really gets going, so that we don't end up pulling the carpet out from under
our student (should he be accepted).

My personal take on this is perhaps not hugely detailed, and I've been
willing to let whoever took the first crack it really have free reign -
working on the assumption that "some code is better than no code". However
others feel differently it seems, so now is your chance to speak up.

The choices at a broad level appear to be :

1) Make RaaA use all of the existing Rockbox UI code, and just talk to that
code with whatever interface is availble on the device running the
application.

2) Make RaaA not use any existing Rockbox UI code, and implement some sort
of framework for controlling rockbox via any available native UI. This would
probably need to take into account threading, button handling, sound and UI
widgets.

Anyone got any comments ?

Bryan