Subject: Re: Rockbox as an Application and Google summer of code.

Re: Rockbox as an Application and Google summer of code.

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:00:23 -0700

2009/3/30 Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
>
>> Besides that, I think stripping the rockbox UI and putting a new one on is
>> pointless... there are far better (no offense meant) playback/database/etc
>> engines out there that already are cross platform...
>
> Is there really? Fixed-point multi-codec without allocs? I would think
> Rockbox still would be the perfect fit as media player on lots of
> tiny-resource devices and I'm not aware of much competition in that area.
>
> But if you know of others, can you please mention what competitors you're
> thinkning about?

Thats what the disclaimer was for :) I was thinking more of PC apps
but really I agree with those who think raaa is more suited to
portable devices which makes even more sense to not use the native
widgets, how on earth are you going to keep it omewhat portable if you
have to rewrite the GUI for every target?

I think I can say with some sort of authority that the rockbox UI is
not designed in a way which would allow any sort of portability other
than what is there already (i.e just being able to draw onto a bitmap
surface). (The list widget is the closest thing we have, and that does
cover alot of the GUI, but you're still missing 60% of the GUI if you
use the native list widget assuming thats even possible)

Anyone remember how long it took for actions to get done and into a
working state (its still broken in some parts)... doing that for the
GUI is going to be a hell of a lot more work... Its not a realistic
goal.

That said. If someone wants to work on splitting the GUI from the rest
of the system (playback/db/everything) then GO FOR IT! I was
threatening to try this maybe over a year ago already... raaa will be
able to benefit from this if it ever happens, but this is a topic for
much later when that split has actually happened.