Subject: Re: DevCon 2009

Re: DevCon 2009

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:34:51 -0500

alex wallis wrote:

> Hi I am considering trying to make it to this years event, but have a
> few questions.
>
> I am not a programmer though trying to learn.
> I was wondering do people think there might be value in a non
> programmer attending? not sure how much use I could be to discussions.

DevCon is primarily focused on programming work. The discussions are,
generally, a small part of it in terms of time spent. A large period of
the time is spent either working in ideas from the discussions, or
former ideas from previous discussions, and exchanging ideas for solving
code difficulties. It's a mindshare in a large sense focused on solving
actual programming problems as much (or more) than it is simply
discussion of Rockbox as a project. While a non-programmer could attend,
it's likely that in many cases they would be left out entirely due to
the technical nature of the discussion, and because it's a very
time-limited event there's really not room to slow down and explain many
things. If you're planning on attending one, I'd suggest that you work
on familiarizing yourself more with the development side of the project
first, and waiting until you're at least quite confident in that area.
> Also, would people have any objections to a blind rb user attending?
I can't imagine there would be, unless it's expected to significantly
reduce the effectiveness in some way (that I personally at least do not
see).
> have any of the blind rb users ever attended before?
Not that I'm aware of.