Subject: Re: DevCon 2009

Re: DevCon 2009

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 00:17:34 +0100

> alex wallis wrote:
>>
>> Hi I am considering trying to make it to this years event, but have a few
>> questions.
>>
>> I am not a programmer though trying to learn.
>> I was wondering do people think there might be value in a non programmer
>> attending? not sure how much use I could be to discussions.
>>
> DevCon is primarily focused on programming work. The discussions are,
> generally, a small part of it in terms of time spent. A large period of
> the time is spent either working in ideas from the discussions, or former
> ideas from previous discussions, and exchanging ideas for solving code
> difficulties. It's a mindshare in a large sense focused on solving actual
> programming problems as much (or more) than it is simply discussion of
> Rockbox as a project. While a non-programmer could attend, it's likely
> that in many cases they would be left out entirely due to the technical
> nature of the discussion, and because it's a very time-limited event
> there's really not room to slow down and explain many things. If you're
> planning on attending one, I'd suggest that you work on familiarizing
> yourself more with the development side of the project first, and waiting
> until you're at least quite confident in that area.
Many thanks for that advice, I am starting off small and trying to work up
to rockbox, with resyncing something like fs# 8630 as I have a fairly good
idea of how that works.
>> Also, would people have any objections to a blind rb user attending?
> I can't imagine there would be, unless it's expected to significantly
> reduce the effectiveness in some way (that I personally at least do not
> see).
I wasn't thinking of a blind user slowing down the actual event.
Obviously any blind user attending would require assistance getting around
from room to room, or bar to bar if a pub crawl was started, I should
imagine most people would be fine with helping with that aspect, but thought
it wise to check, also I gather at least a basic level of English is
understood by a majority of rocbox users, so I guess communication wouldn't
present that much of a problem.
The other aspect would I guess be the blind user tracking down the rockbox
users when they arrived, However I suppose providing mobile numbers were got
from people before setting off this might not be such a challenge.

>> have any of the blind rb users ever attended before?
> Not that I'm aware of.
Well might be time for the blind rb users to put in an appearance seeing as
we find it such a useful application. Personally I am prepared to pay well
over the odds for a player that can run rockbox rather than pay for an ipod
at a fraction of the price as I don't like ipods.

I found a brand new h140 never used on ebay and it cost me an arm and a leg
but was well worth it as it should last me a good 5 or 6 years.