Subject: Re: DevCon 2009

Re: DevCon 2009

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 19:20:51 -0500

alex wallis wrote:

> Many thanks for that advice, I am starting off small and trying to
> work up to rockbox, with resyncing something like fs# 8630 as I have a
> fairly good idea of how that works.
Resyncing patches is well below the level of understanding you should
probably have. This can often be done without any actual knowledge of C
whatsoever. My suggestion would be to actually get involved with Rockbox
development, and after you've had a few patches of your own creation
posted in flyspray, and understand Rockbox development "from the inside"
consider attending a DevCon.
> Well might be time for the blind rb users to put in an appearance
> seeing as we find it such a useful application. Personally I am
> prepared to pay well over the odds for a player that can run rockbox
> rather than pay for an ipod at a fraction of the price as I don't like
> ipods.

As I said, it's a developer event, not a user event. People attending
should be doing so to work on code, not just "make an appearance." While
we welcome meeting users, it's called "DevCon" because it's a developer
conference, and the time is intended to be focused on actual
development. Generally we've been happy with relatively local people
stopping by for a while to watch, but one shouldn't put forth any
effort/cost to attend unless they're coming for the development work.