Subject: Re: SD Card BUS royalties on a new hardware

Re: SD Card BUS royalties on a new hardware

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 04:50:36 -0500

Jonas Häggqvist wrote:

> No one said using SD is a bad idea. What *was* said, was that having
> *only* an external SD slot is a bad idea. We're suggesting you have
> some internal storage - which could be as little as 64MB - for storing
> Rockbox and the related files, and booting from.
>
> Do you really not see that having Rockbox on removable storage is a
> problem?
>
> The Rockbox build, themes, settings, highscores etc will be on the SD
> card, and you will have to copy these things back and forth or live
> with everything changing and having to reboot each time you swap the
> SD card.

Maybe as much as 1GB of internal storage would be good, if one idea is
to "share" music. If you have an SD card and no appreciable internal
storage, you can't actually share. You may as well simply swap players,
since there's no way to combine collections. If you have internal
storage, you can copy appropriately licensed music off their SD card,
then once you re-insert yours, add it to it.