Subject: RE: SD Card BUS royalties on a new hardware

RE: SD Card BUS royalties on a new hardware

From: Mark Ganson <mwganson_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 19:18:33 +0000

> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:44:34 -0400
> From: john.cooper_at_third-harmonic.com
> To: rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se
> Subject: Re: SD Card BUS royalties on a new hardware
>
> Paul Louden wrote:
> > Jonas Häggqvist wrote:
> >>
> >> No one said using SD is a bad idea. What *was* said, was that having
> >> *only* an external SD slot is a bad idea. We're suggesting you have
> >> some internal storage - which could be as little as 64MB - for storing
> >> Rockbox and the related files, and booting from.
> >>
> >> Do you really not see that having Rockbox on removable storage is a
> >> problem?
> >>
> >> The Rockbox build, themes, settings, highscores etc will be on the SD
> >> card, and you will have to copy these things back and forth or live
> >> with everything changing and having to reboot each time you swap the
> >> SD card.

Just a thought, but if internal storage is an issue for whatever reason, how about 2 external slots? One could be a boot slot holding a smaller, less expensive card containing the rockbox firmware and such and the other, non-bootable slot could be for the larger storage card. The advantage to this would be if the memory chip goes bad the end user can easily change it out himself. Another advantage, of course, would be ease of upgrade for the end user as external memory cards continue to increase in capacity and decrease in price. Thirdly, twice the slots means twice the potential memory capacity.

As to USB, if you elect not to implement it, then at least consider bundling a cheapo USB card reader with the player. You can get them very inexpensively in bulk for less than $2 each, including shipping. The player should be useable right out of the box even for users who do not have card readers on their computers.

--Mark