Subject: Re: SD Card BUS royalties on a new hardware

Re: SD Card BUS royalties on a new hardware

From: john cooper <john.cooper_at_third-harmonic.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 16:08:02 -0400

Mark Ganson wrote:

> Just a thought, but if internal storage is an issue for whatever reason,
> how about 2 external slots? One could be a boot slot holding a smaller,
> less expensive card containing the rockbox firmware and such and the
> other, non-bootable slot could be for the larger storage card. The
> advantage to this would be if the memory chip goes bad the end user can
> easily change it out himself. Another advantage, of course, would be
> ease of upgrade for the end user as external memory cards continue to
> increase in capacity and decrease in price. Thirdly, twice the slots
> means twice the potential memory capacity.

That's sort of where I was going. However I'd keep the
firmware SD internal as a microSD card. Doing so removes
confusion over which is which albeit at the compromise of
a second user accessible slot.

microSD has become quite cheap and a microSD socket will
add less than US$1 to the BOM cost. The PCB footprint
even including mounted card isn't much greater than a 56
pin TSSOP flash part yet provides the trivial upgrade/replacement
option as above.

-john

--
john.cooper_at_third-harmonic.com