Subject: parent directory when visiting shortcuts

parent directory when visiting shortcuts

From: Dan Davison <>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 20:27:36 -0400

If you're in /dir1 and select an entry in a .link shortcut file which is
pointing at /dir2, and then hit <Prev>, you end up in /. I was wondering
whether this is the desired behaviour, or whether people would, in
principle, like <Prev> to send you back to /dir1? The latter is what
I'm familiar with when using symlinks under linux; I assume that's
long-standing unix/linux behaviour.

If there were an argument for sending one back to /dir1, then I'd be
interested to know whether anyone has considered implementing that / has
any comments on doing it. I have had a brief look at tree.c, but still
ended up unsure whether it was a big change for someone to attempt or
not. It seemed that it might involve altering some fairly fundamental

Best wishes,