Subject: Re: parent directory when visiting shortcuts

Re: parent directory when visiting shortcuts

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_rockbox.open.source.it>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 00:10:28 +0100

On Tuesday 14 April 2009 21:00, Al Le wrote:

> On 13.04.2009 18:45, Antony Stone wrote:
> > In that case would it perhaps be helpful to rename "PREV" (which implies
> > the previous location) to "PRNT" (I'm assuming there's a shortage of
> > space for the name, so it needs abbreviating) to make it clearer that it
> > takes you up one level, not back to the previous location?
>
> I don't quite understand what you are talking about. Are you referring
> to a specific section in the manual? Or what? Where do you have this
> "PREV" from? Please be more specific so that we can make the appropriate
> text more clear.

Sorry, maybe I took the previous postings rather too literally. I assumed
they were referring to a button function, and I simply felt that if there was
a function called "PREV" which didn't actually take you to the previous
location, it could be renamed more helpfully.

> In "informal" chats PREV is sometimes used as a synonym for the LEFT
> button (at least, on some players). But it's just a button which may
> have different functions depending on the context. In the file browser
> it usually takes you to the parent directory (or to the main menu if
> you're already in the root).

In that case my suggestion is indeed irrelevant, since "PREV" is neither the
name of a button nor a function in the software. I apologise for assuming
that it was.

Antony.

--
"The joy of X!!??  I've always hated compiling graphical shite.  You have a 10
line program, and it ends up depending on the entire known universe."