Subject: Re: Behaviour of the "natural" sort: consensus reached?

Re: Behaviour of the "natural" sort: consensus reached?

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:46:47 +0100 (BST)

Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Mike Holden schrieb:
>> Thomas Martitz wrote:
>>
>>> The consensus was at least that file starting with 000 or something
should be tread as starting with a single 0, so that 00abc and 0abc
sort
>>> the same.
>>>

>> I don't recall that being part of the consensus.
>>
> And what was the consensus then?

I don't know, but I know that wasn't part of it!

We specifically reported on how Windows treats 00file.txt and 000file.txt,
and that it always treats more leading zeroes as "less", so 000file.txt
always sorts before 00file.txt, and decided that we should probably follow
that convention, as other file browsers do the same on Linux (as does a
ksh shell on the Solaris box in front of me, for yet another data point).
--
Mike Holden
http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted