Subject: Re: Welcome gsoc2009 students

Re: Welcome gsoc2009 students

From: Tomer Shalev <shalev.tomer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 01:36:35 +0300

> We are proud to announce that Google will be paying five students to work
on Rockbox this summer.

Hello all!

My name is Tomer Shalev. I am an Electrical Engineering student in the
Technion - Israel Institute of Technology.
My GSoC project is to enhance the Rockbox USB stack. My goals are to
implement a Human-Interface Device (HID) class driver, which should make it
possible to use the DAP as a keyboard/mouse while connected to the host
computer. The second goal is separating the USB class drivers code, which
will be built as modules, outside the main Rockbox binary, thus reducing its
size and enabling dynamic loading of USB class drivers. It should also ease
development of new class drivers.

Future development, beyond the scope of this GSoC project, would be to
implement a tailored class driver of an open-source protocol between the DAP
and the host OS that will enable new and exciting possibilities of
integration between Rockbox and other open-source digital media-player
applications.

I joined the Rockbox community more than a year ago, and was impressed by
the community's professionalism and dedication.
I already started working on my project, and received significant support
from my mentor and the rest of the community. I would like to thank you all
and congratulate the other GSoC participants. I hope that those who didn't
get accepted will continute to contribute and be part of Rockbox!

Best regards,
Tomer Shalev (tomers)