Subject: Re: report on accessibility problems of rockbox utility

Re: report on accessibility problems of rockbox utility

From: Dominik Wenger <domonoky_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 19:10:50 +0200

Hello,

first, thank you for your detailed report. I think this will help us to
improve the situation.

Let me summarize your findings with a few comments:

1. Titles of Tabs in (mainscreen and configuration dialog) are not read out.
- At least for the mainscreen there is a workaround for this: The Action
menu gives you access to all options in the mainscreen tabs. And for
most things in the configuration dialog there are shortcuts. (For
example the "Change" Button in the create voice dialog)

2. Create Voice Dialog. Language selection (combobox) and the wavtrim
option (spinbox) are not spoken correctly. (No title and no voice on
changes)

3. TTS/Encoder Configuration. The TTS selection is not spoken correctly
(no voice on changes).
- But the title is read out correctly ???

4. Individual TTS/Encoder configuration dialogs are voiced badly.
- The configuration dialogs for the individual tts/encoders have been
completly reworked in SVN, so the same problem wont be there, but maybe
new ones ?

5. About Dialogs are not readout correctly.
- The about Qt dialog contains only a Label with Text and Qt has
problems voiceing labels without any selectable element. Maybe this
could be improved with a textbox instead of the label.
- The about Rockbox Utility Dialog also contains much of its text in a
Label. Then there is the rockbox.org url (selectable by tab) and below
there are two Tabs with the Credits and the Licence. The tabs probably
have the same problem as all other tabs. The credits and the licence are
in a textbox, but this textbox is not selectable (tab wont get you
there). This is easy to fix.

Question:
- How do you use the comboboxes ? Just use "up"/"down" on the combobox,
or first press "space" to expand the combobox, then "up"/"down" and then
  "enter" to accept the change.

And it would be nice, if you could explore and describe more areas of
rbutil in the same style, and we will be hopefully able to improve it.

greetings,
Domonoky