Subject: Re: report on accessibility problems of rockbox utility

Re: report on accessibility problems of rockbox utility

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 14:57:17 +0100

> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:35 PM, alex wallis
> <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
>> OK, the version of the utility I am running is v 1.2.1 is this not
>> compiled
>> with the latest svn code?
>
> No. Rockbox Utility isn't build regularly as the main Rockbox itself
> is. Instead, we make releases every now and then. The rework Dominik
> talked about is in svn, but the changes haven't been made available in
> a release.
> I've just made a new binary available from svn. This is not a release
> and some internal things have been changed lately, so it may contain
> other issues. I'll try to update that binary every now and then. You
> can get it here:
>
> http://www.alice-dsl.net/dominik.riebeling/rockbox/rbutilqt-svn.zip

Hi thanks for making the binary available.

I have just downloaded it, and here are my observations.

Firstly none of the boxes with number values that change when you press up
or down arrows are announced when you make changes, you have to tab out of
and back into them, so the same problem from 1.2.1 is still present.
The same is still true of combo boxes when you tab to them if you simply hit
down arrow the value changes but it is not spoken.
However as requested I pressed spacebar on the combo boxes and once they had
expanded jaws is able to read items as they change. I actually didn't know
that spacebar expanded combo boxes.
However I think that the issue where combo box values are not read unless
space is pressed on the box first should be fixed because I think a lot of
people will just assume they can go up and down in the box without pressing
space on it first.
Also, once you have pressed space on a box and its items are being read by
jaws, once you have found the item you are looking for you then can't do
anything. As pressing tab will not move you out of the box, and if you press
escape your selection is cancelled and you are back at square one.
Also, spacebar on the combo boxes to expand them and get them read does not
work on that one who's value is not read when it is changed even when you
tab out of and back into it. The box I am talking about is the one next to
the language selection box if you press tab once you are on it. Pressing
spacebar on it doesn't seem to expand it and its values are not read if you
change them. In fact you are given no indication of any changes when you
press up or down arrow.

Under encoder settings as well as the boxes with number values not being
read when they are changed, there is also a check box who's title is not
announced, to find it move to the box who's default value is set at ten and
press tab once, you are then on the box who's title isn't being announced.

I have also looked at the about dialogue, and little seems to have changed
in it, however now when I go into the about box, when I tab around the
controls I am seeing an edit field with a list of names, but the title of
this field is not read out, and of course just seeing that random list of
names I have no idea what it means.

Also, when you tab to the box containing the license it is not possible to
scroll through it with the arrow keys meaning that if you want to read it
you have to listen to the hole lot being read because when you hit down it
will start reading from the top again.