Subject: Re: question about hid in rockbox

Re: question about hid in rockbox

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 17:35:31 +0100

    I have read the hid entry on wikipedia, so I understand basically what it is, I was wondering is this going to make life for programmers easier, or will actual rockbox users see benefits from the introduction of hid?
    If so, what kind of benefits might they be?

  Alex, my GSoC work is composed of two somewhat different parts. The first part is making the DAP enumerate as HID, which is in simple words making it enumerate to the operating system as a sort of multimedia keyboard. Today, the keypad has no use when the player is connected to the computer. With my work it will be possible to send the computer key presses, like controlling volume and skipping tracks.
  I am not trying to demean your work in any way, but if a user has there player connected to the computer at the same time as listening to music, why would they want to be able to use the player for adjusting volume and skipping tracks? as presumably they would be listening to music with winamp or a similar program which can be used to change volume and skip tracks anyway.
  In the future, it would be easier for developers to add any other keyboard mappings, such as using Rockbox as a Power-Point remote control.
  I can sort of see the benefits of this, although I guess you would have to be connected to a computer for that?
  This work is useful both for users and developers.
  snip
  It should make it easier for developers to create / merge additional class drivers to Rockbox, such as making Rockbox recognized as an MTP device (as some players in the market do).
  What exactly is an mtp device?