Subject: Sansa e200 battery charging (bug?)

Sansa e200 battery charging (bug?)

From: Anthony Whipple <>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 10:26:18 -0400

On an original (v1) Sansa e250 I cannot get Rockbox (current build as of 20
may 09) to charge the battery. Under Debug -> view battery I see Battery
3.6 V (elsewhere this is interpreted as 8% charge), Charger: present, State:
Discharging. My read through the code seems to indicate that the charger
should be enabled under these conditions. Am I missing something or is this
a bug?

A little more background/information:

This e250 will not charge in the original firmware either. I believe that
the reason is the value of ADC_BVDD when a charger or USB is plugged in.
When I view the I/O values under debug I get:

NO Charger

ADC_BVDD = ~730

USB or Wall charger connected

ADC_BVDD = ~930

I have seen this noted as a problem and the code theoretically uses
ADC_RTCSUP instead of the flakey ADC_BVDD. This is confirmed by doing the
conversion to volts which read 3.6 whether the charger is plugged in or not.
This, in principle, seems like it should solve my battery charging problems.

Does anyone know why this would not trigger a call to enable_charger()
making the charge_state go to CHARGING?

Anthony Whipple