Subject: Re: a dev question about the Sansa Clip

Re: a dev question about the Sansa Clip

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 07:11:26 +0100

> Rafaël Carré wrote:
>>
>> Le Sat, 30 May 2009 15:40:00 -0500,
>> "Scott Berry" <scottbb1973_at_gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello there,
>>>
>>> At the moment I only have Windows. I do use Linux but do not have it
>>> set up for my Net book. Is there a way to do this through Windows?
>>
>> You can use cygwin environment, see
>> http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/CygwinDevelopment
>>
>> If you use Linux, I advise you to use it rather than cygwin since
>> cygwin can be very problematic.
>>
>> - --
>> Rafaël Carré
>

> I have had good success with Debian Linux running under Windows Vista
> 64-bit using VirtualBox. I don't know how well that would work on a
> netbook, and I do not know how easy it is for a blind person to set up,
> but it is Real Linux, and Real Windows.
snip
I am not really that used to linux, but I can speak from the perspective of
a blind user.
I should imagine in theory you could get a screen reader working in a
virtual environment, however you would need sighted help, and as far as I
know there are no sites that make virtual machines available with screen
readers installed in them when you download them.

This is just an observation not a criticism but I know rockbox does not
provide a screen reader in the various virtual machines it makes available I
guess because only a tiny minority of people would use it and also because
it would increase the size of a package being made available.

Unfortunately you would have to install a linux screen reader into a virtual
machine no getting away from it because once you switch the virtual machine
on, jaws will not be able to read you anything that the machine itself is
doing, you have to have a linux screen reader for that.
Personally I would love to get away from cygwin for my rockbox needs and
switch to a virtual machine but it would be complicated to set up, and
unfortunately people in my house are not that technical and probably do not
have the patients to help me set up a proper virtual machine that is
accessible I can use for working with rockbox.
However if someone was to make one available or was interested in the
possibility of trying to make one available I would jump at the chance to
use it as I just find cygwin so slow to use, but unfortunately it seems to
be the easiest option at the moment.
If I could get an accessible virtual environment I would be interested in
helping out by being a build server for example, but it needs an accessible
virtual machine.
I hope the above info has been of use.
Alex.