Subject: Re: mkamsboot considered harmful

Re: mkamsboot considered harmful

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 08:42:00 -0500

Rafaël Carré wrote:
> So I wonder : is the disadvantage of refusing to patch recently
> released OFs worth the advantage of using only tested OFs ?
>
> Right now I tend to think that no, we should accept just any OF.

Could we possibly keep a list of known OFs on the website, and have
RBUtil update its list? Then we have a compromise situation - it still
refuses to patch unknown OF versions, but we can update it without
having to recompile RBUtil.

Given the number and range of crazy things users did to the portalplayer
Sansas, I think the odds are relatively high you'll get users with
bricked players if you don't take every precaution you can think of.

It's probably reasonable to have the standalone version of mkamsboot
have a -force command-line switch that allows it to patch unknown OF
versions if that's really wanted, but I think that sort of thing should
definitely be kept out of RBUtil.