Subject: Re: Database Commit Times

Re: Database Commit Times

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 05:18:44 -0500

Alex Bennee wrote:

>> Pointers for development on what?
>>

> How to speed up the database updates?

Maybe you should've mentioned that in your original question then,
instead of simply asking about it being slow.

> I seem to be stuck between a "support" observation and desire to know the
> technical details of database implementation. If this is a know issue with the
> design of the database I would hope someone could explain before I start poking
> around in the code.

You may want to think about how you phrase your questions then. You
presented it as a user issue - "I want the database to update faster
because it's frustrating to wait before I can listen to my songs." It
sounded very much like a support question.

Try something like "Database commit times seem slow. I'm interested in
improving it. Before I dig into the technical details, is there a reason
it needs to rewrite the whole database on commit rather than just
appending the new files?" This makes it clear you're actually asking
about the code.

A further tip - when someone asks "why did you ask this on the
development list?" clarify about what aspect of development you're
working on. Don't leave the question as it stood originally and just say
"Well, I thought the developers were more likely to know the answer."
That makes it sound more like a support question, where you were just
trying to get developer attention for your support and bypass the
appropriate support channel.