Subject: Re: committal of patch

Re: committal of patch

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_rockbox.open.source.it>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 14:19:03 +0100

On Sunday 14 June 2009 13:46, Al Le wrote:

> On 14.06.2009 14:27, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> > alex wallis schrieb:
> >> Hi list.
> >> I was wondering, is there any chance of getting fs #10311 commited
> >> please?
> >> [...]
> >
> > I too think it should be committed, but as of now, it doesn't provide a
> > setting and will beep for sighted users too.
>
> But with a setting it will be considered settings bloat and will have
> even less chances to be committed.

Why not use the same setting as for "speech on/off"?

If someone wants speech, they get the beeps as well; if they turn speech off,
they don't get beeps.

That seems to me to be a good compromise between everyone getting beeps
whether they like it or not, nobody getting beeps even when they'd like them,
and minimising the number of settings that the system has to store.

Obviously this combined behaviour would have to be clearly documented so that
people know how to get beeps if they want them, or why they get them when
they didn't realise they'd asked for them.

Regards,

Antony.

--
I love deadlines.   I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
 - Douglas Noel Adams