Subject: Re: committal of patch

Re: committal of patch

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:19:59 -0500

alex wallis wrote:
> it would be solved but it would lead to slower browsing.
> as at the moment, I hear the beep from the patch and I know instantly
> I have reached the end of the menu or list.
> however, if the speech started to play for the last item in the list,
> I feel I would take longer to react to it as I would start to think
> about what letters or option I was being read.
> A beep is very short and easily attracts my attention something that
> speech probably wouldn't do.
> As I would take a few seconds to think about what was being read, but
> with the beep I know instantly what it means.
> Also, depending on the speed of the voice being used to make the voice
> file, it would probably take a lot longer to start reading whatever it
> was supposed to than a beep would take to play. Especially if it was a
> file name being spelled, as a beep is over like that, but by the time
> I react to the speech, the speech may have read two, three or four
> letters of a name.

I don't see what your reaction times have to do with anything. How you
react to the noise is entirely up to you, and guessing how you'll react
to it now also isn't particularly indicative of how you might react to
it after using it for a couple days, or if you tried to get used to it.

Also: Why can't you get to the bottom of the list by simply pressing up
once?

What is the use case where you need to scroll to the bottom of the list,
and then stop there, and then not listen to the voice but select it, and
can't just go up instead?