Subject: Re: End of list beep

Re: End of list beep

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:07:31 -0500

Thomas Martitiz wrote:

> You're not always at the very beginning of a list. Rockbox remembers
> the selection, which makes scrolling just 1 item up impossible then.

This is true if you back out of a folder. So now we're in a situation
where someone is backing out of a sub-list, and wants to quickly get to
the bottom of the parent list, and for some reason can't back out one
level further then re-enter so that they're at the top of the list and
then press up (three presses total), which is a very quick action?

This patch sounds extremely special-case if these are the circumstances
necessary for it to be more useful than existing functionality.

> I think the blind users can judge on the usefulness better than we
> sighted can do.

Yes, but it may be that they just aren't aware of existing features of
Rockbox that can make their task easier without the patch being needed,
or it may be that Rockbox's existing features can be improved without
the patch being necessary. The whole idea is to explore what problem is
being solved, so that we can determine if this is the best solution.

For that to happen, they need to describe what the problem is first.

No matter who's doing the talking, nobody can say "this is the best
solution to the problem" without first defining the scope of the
problem. Since the only problem described seems to be "getting to the
bottom of the list" there are much faster ways to do it that don't
involve a beep, which is why I'm trying to determine if there's more to
the problem.