Subject: Re: Simpler solution?

Re: Simpler solution?

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:27:51 +0100

> pondlife wrote:
>> As I see it, the problem is that list entries are never voiced until the
>> button is released (and 0.25 of a second has passed).
>>
>> If list.c is modified so that first and last entries are voiced
>> immediately, I don't think we'd need this beep, right?
>>
> That's more or less what it sounds like to me. It seems like a bug to me
> that the last entry in either direction isn't voiced as long as the button
> is held down.

Having the beep rather than the speech is more efficient than waiting for
two or three letters to be read in a file name.
A beep is not as intrusive as speech
The beep you hear it and then its over but the speech will begin reading the
hole file name which I would find annoying.
Plus, imagine for whatever reason your finger slips from the joystick or
wheel before you reach what you have been looking for. You will hear the
speech starting to read, so some people if they were impatient might think
they had reached what they were looking for.
The beep is a nice safety measure against this possibility.