Subject: Re: State of "numerical sorting"

Re: State of "numerical sorting"

From: Dominik Riebeling <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:18:20 +0200

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:48 AM, Thomas
Martitz<> wrote:
> We have the specifications of the original algorithm (
> ). And that's exactly what the code
> in SVN works like currently.

While I would call that rather a description than a specification I do
remember that the behaviour of the sorting function was changed
several times. I can't remember if it finally got to the same state it
had before those changes. However, as it _was_ changed, I need to
assume that it's different by now. I can also remember the discussion
about breaking the tie if two strings become identical after munging,
which is not handled in the original code (there is even a comment
about this in the original code). So if the original code doesn't
handle this why should the description hold it?

Furthermore, have we agreed on that description at all?

 - Dominik