Subject: Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

From: pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:34:57 +0100

> In the general trend of "streamlining the menu structure" I'd like to
> bring up the idea of removing the Replaygain toggle.

> I know there was at least one objector in the past. Can anyone see some
> obvious actual problems with it?

Use of Replaygain has an impact on battery life IIRC. Might be better to
merge the "Enable replaygain" option into the "Replaygain type" menu as an
"Off" option. (This would default to Track gan if shuffling", giving one
less menu ioption and the desired default behaviour.)

> To me the most "obvious" improvement would be to drop the toggle for time
> stretch (despite RAM cost, this is the sort of feature that should be
> always on

I disagree - with the current algoithm the RAM cost is significant, and the
impact timestretch has on sound quality (e.g. mono output and plenty of
artifacts) mean that in many cases (i.e. non-speech) it's better to use the
old pitch-only option.

> with us perhaps reclaiming the RAM in the future when it's not in use)

malloc, you mean? ;-) (joke!)

> and reduce it to a menu with two options ...

I'm strongly agains this - it removes two key features of the pitch screen:
- beatmatching (the +/- 2% shift)
- the ability to change pitch without changing BPM/perceived speed (i.e.
where speed and pitch change together)

Plus, the pitch/speed values are not settings - they are not persisted.
This, along with the above, is exactly what I want when I'm DJing.

pondlife