Subject: Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:10:52 +0100

cleaning.

> pondlife wrote:
>>
>> Use of Replaygain has an impact on battery life IIRC. Might be better to
>> merge the "Enable replaygain" option into the "Replaygain type" menu as
>> an "Off" option. (This would default to Track gan if shuffling", giving
>> one less menu ioption and the desired default behaviour.)
>>

> It shouldn't have an effect on battery life if the files don't have
> replaygain tags, and IIUC the effect is incredibly minimal.
>

>>> To me the most "obvious" improvement would be to drop the toggle for
>>> time stretch (despite RAM cost, this is the sort of feature that should
>>> be always on
>>>

>> I disagree - with the current algoithm the RAM cost is significant, and
>> the impact timestretch has on sound quality (e.g. mono output and plenty
>> of artifacts) mean that in many cases (i.e. non-speech) it's better to
>> use the old pitch-only option.
>>

> My understanding was that it cost 64k of RAM. That's not terribly
> significant. It's not small, but for avoiding user confusion (forcing them
> to look in two places, and reboot, to use a single setting, which
> basically means the manual is required for them to figure this one out)
> it's probably worth it. And isn't Pitch still adjustable with it on?
>

>>> and reduce it to a menu with two options ...
>>>

>> I'm strongly agains this - it removes two key features of the pitch
>> screen:
>> - beatmatching (the +/- 2% shift)
>>

> With a normal menu that updates live, this can be accomplished. Set the
> value to 120% speed. Then move to 122% and when the beat matches cancel
> out of the screen, immediately restoring it to 120%. In fact, this could
> even give you finer control over beat matching than you have currently.
>
>> - the ability to change pitch without changing BPM/perceived speed (i.e.
>> where speed and pitch change together)
>>

> How would this remove that? I said two settings, "Pitch" (which would
> change pitch without changing BPM) and "Speed" (which would change BPM
> without changing pitch). If you need speed and pitch both changed, you
> just change both of them.

snip
but if I understand your idea right, this would mean a user then has two
things to alter if they want to change both pitch and speedh. I like having
the flexibility of the three settings of just pitch, pitch and speed
together and just speed. Removing one would create more work for a user if
they want to change them together.