Subject: Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:19:41 -0500

pondlife wrote:

> Sorry - I misread that.
>
> (I do think that the basic menu layout is a bigger usability issue than the
> points you've raised though - "General settings" indeed ;-) )

While the general layout is a problem, aside from replaygain the two
screens I've mentioned are very hard to use on scrollwheel targets
without a manual on hand and without advanced warning you won't know
they're going to be so different and are unlikely to look them up in
advance after learning the basic controls of Rockbox. Especially the
pitch screen, which would require live experimentation to learn the
controls.

While the overall layout is a "bigger" problem, these problems are ones
that a user will have a harder time coping with (I think) in the shorter
term sense, because they aren't something that can be resolved by simple
observation - they require actual experimentation, and in some cases may
even trick a user into thinking something is impossible. With the menus,
you can just iterate through all the lists until you see the option you
want isn't there. With the pitch screen you may not even realize the
screen can be toggled to different modes at all without the manual.