Subject: Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:53:08 -0500

pondlife wrote:
> This is where we fundamentally disagree. There is very little redundancy -
> only that both the procentual and semitone mode share the nudge option (and
> I think that's reasonable in this context).

First, the percent and semitone options are basically redundant anyway -
if you had steps as 1/10 semitone you offer a similar level of control
without needing the two separate options.

> The more I think about it, the more I think we have the wheel control mapped
> wrongly. Nudge makes little sense on a wheel anyway - it's basically a
> button thing.

Nudge can be preserved by simply having a nudge screen that you can
enter after setting the things in the list, instead of having the
complex keymap of having so many things on one screen.

> Does the wheel more commonly map to UP/DOWN or LEFT/RIGHT. I'd guess the
> former (e.g. lists/browser), so it ought to be mapped to the pitch axis.
> That means we need two buttons on each wheel target that can act as
> LEFT/RIGHT - do they exist on your tsrget?

The wheel is nearly always up/down, but the fact that the quickscreen's
"down" is the Play/Pause button, rather than scroll down means the
visual layout of the screens matching causes greater confusion. The
screen needs to *look* different for the controls to make sense even
after you fix the basics. But left/right are available (and obvious -
the seek buttons).