Subject: Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:55:28 +0200

Jeff Goode schrieb:
> Paul Louden wrote:
>> Jeff Goode wrote:
>>> Agree here. There are a number of times when I want to disable
>>> ReplayGain. In fact, I usually leave it off unless there's a
>>> specific reason I want it on.
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>
>> Again, everyone who's said they want it on hasn't explained how
>> they'd be able to detect it was on, why it actually matters other
>> than a concept of "purity" that could simply extend to "actually know
>> what your files are tagged with and it won't be a problem" and
>> further has ignored the excellent idea to simply merge the settings.
>>
>> Also, is "Please don't top post" really that confusing?
>>
> First of all, my apologies for top posting. I didn't understand
> that's what I was doing. Thought it meant something else.
>
> To your main point: I have a number of files from the same albums that
> are replay gain tagged for each track but not for the entire album.
> Therefore, when I play back tracks that play directly into the next
> track with replay gain enabled, there is a jump in volume. This is
> not a subtle "purity" argument, but a very evident distraction. Also
> please explain to me why I should have to go back and retag all my
> files to allow you to remove the ability to turn off a feature I don't
> want and have no use for? It's not as though you'd have to do some
> extra coding to implement a feature. You want to go out of your way
> to take one out. Are aesthetics preferable to function here?

IMO, your tags are at fault here.

But anyway, we have the very good suggestion to merge the gain type with
the on/off setting. Why aren't we just doing that?

> Merging settings is one thing. Removing the ability to disable an
> unwanted feature is something else.
>
> Jeff

I cannot see how it is unwanted at all. Rockbox is setup to read those
tags. Your laziness to clear up your tags doesn't make it generally
unwanted.

Best regards.