Subject: Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:28:22 -0500

Jeff Goode wrote:

>> Despite that, though, I will admit that somehow I missed that it is
>> enabled. The problem, of course, still stands. If we're talking about
>> users who don't know about replaygain, which this person was, they're
>> already being harmed by it being enabled by default under his reasoning.
>>
> Don't put words in my mouth. The *original* discussion was about
> removing the ability to disable replay gain. You stated that you
> could conceive of no scenario where if replay gain tags were present
> that replay gain should not be enabled. I gave you one, and you
> disagreed by claiming user error. So be it. But I did not claim harm
> by having replay gain enabled by default, only harm if there was no
> way to disable it short of modifying the (faulty or not) source
> material. Clear?

I didn't mean to say you said they were harmed. In fact, I didn't say
you said they were harmed. I said that you were talking about users who
didn't know about replaygain (you did talk about them) then *I* said
that in that situation they would still be harmed (since not knowing
about replaygain, they wouldn't know to turn it off). Under your
reasoning (that they often don't know about it) *I* say that they would
be harmed (if having replaygain on is / can be harmful).

Sorry for the lack of clarity, but I didn't think you would extend it to
the point where you assumed I was putting words into your mouth.