Subject: Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

From: pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 10:14:01 +0100

> And the screen may seem "neat" to you because you know how to use it

I don't think it's hard to work out at all, but again, I've not used it with
a scrollwheel.

> but two of the three screens are basically unnecessary.

I diisagree - The semitone screen could be possibly built in by using 1/n
ths of a semitone rather than percentages, but I suspect that the loss of
accuracy for beatmatching and/or the many more clicks needed to raise by one
semitone would not make this an improvement to the UI. OR we could use a
shift key modifier to step in semitones, but maybe not on all targets and
that complicates the keymap.

> Is the one that is necessary voiced well at all?

Not yet. I've been trying ro voice it, but it's not great because of
limitations with low latency playback.

> There are two settings, "pitch" and "speed". Rockbox doesn't decide
> anything - pitch affects how the file sounds, but not how long it takes to
> play (so if you adjust it up one semitone, all notes sound different, but
> you still get them over the same time period)

Yes, but only if you want to use timestretching. 80% (or so) of the time, I
want to change
pitch without using timestretch so as to keep decent audio quality, thus
IIUC I'd need to be changing both speed and pitch identically. Yes, I could
disable timestretch, but it's still many more keypresses to do what the
current pitch screen does fluidly - and using Rockbox for DJ-ing means
you're always against the clock.

> And yet you've not actually described why the screen is needed beyond "The
> nudge functionality should be preserved." The screen and the nudge
> functionality aren't necessarily teh same thing.

Because it's a good UI and one of the best parts of Rockbox, IMHO (since way
back when in the Archos days).

pondlife