Subject: Re: Remaking distributed builds

Re: Remaking distributed builds

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:24:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Bryan Childs wrote:

> No - the uploading was done in the same thread as the builds. So the build
> would finish, then the client sent it back to the server, and then the next
> build started.

We worked on the bg upload during Sunday and that's why the server switched to
handing out 4 builds to each client but we didn't get it to work perfectly
yet. It is now also supposed to run 'make zip' in the thread which is about to
upload the zip. (make zip and the start of the next build will run perfectly
in parallel on multi-core hosts at least)

The server also proved to lose count on the clients/builds somewhat on
repeated builds. This introducing "speculative parallel builds" adds more
different numbers to keep track of! ;-)

--
  / daniel.haxx.se