Subject: Re: Center on loaded theme FS#10391 (+ set_file bugfix FS#10392)

Re: Center on loaded theme FS#10391 (+ set_file bugfix FS#10392)

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 01:12:46 -0500

Thomas Martitz wrote:

> This is a one time thing, covered by the manual. They'll learn, ask,
> or read what it means, then get used to it pretty quickly. And love it.

That's a pretty bold statement - they'll love something that's almost
useless except in the rare occasions that you've forgotten what theme
you last selected. It's not a major feature, and I don't think it's
worth adding yet another situation in which the user must read the
manual just to understand a basic thing that's going on, when it's
absolutely unnecessary an is, at the very best, describable as a tiny
improvement for some users.

> Also, I don't understand why user confusion is an excuse for a feature
> some of us like to have/implement. Are we going to reject work based
> on the user confusion *some* people expect or do we weight the work
> developers put into it and the demand for it over it?

Well, if some developers like it, and some don't, then since developer
opinion is split it's worth considering if the code can also have ill
effects. It's clear this can without additional subsystems to show a
"dirty" state.