Subject: Re: FS#10343: Resume playback even if it reached the end and stopped

Re: FS#10343: Resume playback even if it reached the end and stopped

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:18:14 +0100 (BST)

Al Le wrote:
> That's what I think either.
>

> For your benefit: here are some excerpts from Paul's mails:
>
>> Specifically, I'm not sure it's obvious that ended playback should
>> result in a resume on power on. If a playlist ends, because you set
>> repeat "off" and then the player idle poweroffs, you may be just as
>> likely to not want it to resume on startup in that situation.
>>
>> -----
>>
>> On the other hand, if "repeat" is set to "no" that means "I want the
>> music to stop after we reach the end of the playlist and not start until
>> I manually resume playback or select a new song." Shutdowns can happen
>> without user intervention (idle timeout) and booting up to playback can
>> cause quite a disturbance if attached to speakers when the user knew it
>> was "stopped" and the playlist complete when they shut down.
>>
>> There's a difference between booting up and resuming a playlist
>> in-progress, and booting up and starting a playlist that had ended.
>>
>> I'm just saying, a resume on boot when playback had "ended" from the
>> user's perception could cause a nasty shock, and even hearing damage if
>> they've moved from speakers to headphones or similar.
>

> I dont't quite get both points, but maybe that's just me.

I don't get this either. Once playback has completed, what exactly do we
expect we should be able to restart, because we already eached the end of
the current list of tracks to play.

If I play a playlist to the end, and then hit the PLAY button, I get a
message "Nothing to resume", and that is entirely logical.
--
Mike Holden
http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted