Subject: Re: "Design" notes for the (hopefully) upcoming viewport/screen changes

Re: "Design" notes for the (hopefully) upcoming viewport/screen changes

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 20:49:55 -0700

2009/6/28 Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>:

> 2009/6/28 Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
>>
>> <words>
>> Jonathan
>>

> In regard to the buttonbar bit... if I knew there would be no outcry I would
> remove this in a second.... Does anyone have any suggestions how this oculd
> actually work with the rest of the system? It causes a few problems being
> outside the UI area (and potentially becomes useless if it is *in* the ui
> area...) There is an argument that (at least currently) the only targets to
> have that bar are the archos recorders which have a tiny screen so its
> unlikely themers will want to do some of the fancy stuff... although that
> doesnt really solve the problem.
>
> I *really* dont want to get into a situation where we have to have nasty
> IF_BB(true/false) sort of macros hanging around the gui code (like how
> IF_MV() is used in the ata code).
> What might have to be done is before any calls to vp_getuiarea(), if a
> screen wants the buttonbar displayed it needs to call an enable function.
> This will also need to make the WPS bb-aware also (for backgroun WPS if that
> happens).

So I'm going to be frank here.... the buttonbar is a barely used
feature on a target which is 7? years old and has about 6 users....
I'm going to look at the code and take the easiest of the following 2
1) do almost nothing, draw the bb in the ui area and blame themers if
it doesnt work
2) force the bar always on the screen if its enabled

*hours and tumbleweeds pass*

OK, so it turns out I've already done the work to viewportify the
buttonbar so its most probably going to be option 1 which means the
bar will be technically "broken".. but really I dont care and I doubt
any of the 5 people who use the AJBR (and the 2 that still have the
bar enabled) are going to waste screen real-estate on a pretty border
around the list... so as far as I'm concerned there is no issue here
(as long as this bandaid actually works).

If you arn't happy with this then I suggest replying here and/or
helping out with the patch in FS#8799