Subject: Re: "Design" notes for the (hopefully) upcoming viewport/screen changes

Re: "Design" notes for the (hopefully) upcoming viewport/screen changes

From: Thomas Martitiz <s0523936_at_htw-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 11:51:51 +0200

Am 01.07.2009 05:49, schrieb Jonathan Gordon:

> So I'm going to be frank here.... the buttonbar is a barely used
> feature on a target which is 7? years old and has about 6 users....
> I'm going to look at the code and take the easiest of the following 2
> 1) do almost nothing, draw the bb in the ui area and blame themers if
> it doesnt work
> 2) force the bar always on the screen if its enabled
>
> *hours and tumbleweeds pass*
>
> OK, so it turns out I've already done the work to viewportify the
> buttonbar so its most probably going to be option 1 which means the
> bar will be technically "broken".. but really I dont care and I doubt
> any of the 5 people who use the AJBR (and the 2 that still have the
> bar enabled) are going to waste screen real-estate on a pretty border
> around the list... so as far as I'm concerned there is no issue here
> (as long as this bandaid actually works).
>
> If you arn't happy with this then I suggest replying here and/or
> helping out with the patch in FS#8799

Option 3) Draw it outside, and blame the themer if it doesn't work.

The buttonbar isn't exactly a theme setting, but it influences it so
much that it counts as one for me.
I do it the same way for the statusbar (and AFAIK we do it already that
way for the WPS statusbars and viewports).

And btw, I *really* doubt it will be used on the targets that have it
now. Obviously, people which use that ugly targets don't care about
fancy looking stuff.

Reading the logs. Yes it will be useful for touchscreen. But a) We don't
code with with future feature ideas (it's only a idea, there's nothing
specific about), b) I'd expect themers to allocate some nice looking
part for the buttonbar on the backdrop, c) I imagine we could make the
button also freely placeable on the screen.