Subject: Re: Packaging for Debian/Ubuntu

Re: Packaging for Debian/Ubuntu

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_rockbox.open.source.it>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:40:59 +0100

On Friday 10 July 2009 16:22, Shahar Or wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Robert Keevil<rkeevil_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dominik Riebeling wrote:
> >  > The reason there is no package is simply that nobody made one. Feel
> >  > free to give it a go.
> >
> > I have a Debian-ised version of rbutil-1.2 here.  But (as pointed out to
> > me when I made it) what should be done with it?  It's not really a
> > suitable package for inclusion into the main Debian distribution, since
> > it changes so frequently
>
> Why does it change so frequently, please? Does the package contain the
> firmware itself, or just an installer for the firmware?

"Frequently" is a relative term.

Anything that changes more than once or twice a year can be regarded as
"frequently" in the Debian project.

The bootloader is just what it sounds like - a bootstrap loader which gets the
main Rockbox software going - which is probably what you mean by the term
"firmware".

There are many packages available in Debian which may look wonderful when a
new Debian version comes out, but seem awfuly outdated three years later when
we're still waiting for the next Debian release...

Antony.

--
I love deadlines.   I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
 - Douglas Noel Adams