Subject: Re: Packaging for Debian/Ubuntu

Re: Packaging for Debian/Ubuntu

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_rockbox.open.source.it>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:34:32 +0100

On Friday 10 July 2009 17:17, Shahar Or wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> How about having your own package archive which gets updated when you
> see fit (e.g. with each release)?
>
> Examples of projects with their own package archives are:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
> http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/manualinstall
> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html
>
> This way Debian/Ubuntu users can easily get rbutil once they set up
> the source AND get upgrades when YOU think they're ready.

Isn't it better for users to upgrade when they want to, rather than when the
Rockbox project thinks they should?

The existing downloadable binary from the Rockbox website works fine in
Ubuntu / Debian, just as it works under Red Hat / Slackware / SuSE /
Gentoo...

What's the advantage of a distribution package, instead of what's already on
the Rockbox site, which is distribution independent?

Antony.

--
Normal people think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Engineers think "If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet".