Subject: Re: Packaging for Debian/Ubuntu

Re: Packaging for Debian/Ubuntu

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:41:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009, Antony Stone wrote:

[we're drifting off-topic here, so we should probably wrap up this subject
before too long but I decided to answer since I got direct questions]

>> I work in a project with bi-monthly releases (which is far more frequent
>> than rbutil) and yet it is packaged and shipped with Debian since many
>> years...
>
> do people running Debian Stable (ie: Lenny at present) really have the
> opportunity to use the latest bi-monthly release of it on their system,
> without needing to use Volatile or non-standard repositories etc?

No. An rbutil package for Debian Stable wouldn't change. It would change for
Testing and Unstable, and those are the only versions I personally care about.
But then again I'm not particuarly in favor of pushing a Debian package. I was
mostly just objecting to the idea that a frequent-release project would have a
problem.

The project I referred to is cURL. The products are curl and libcurl (which
end up as several different packages in Debian).

> I'm intrigued how an application with a bi-monthly release cycle fits into a
> distribution with a 2-3 year release cycle.

Because lots of us who use Debian Testing and Unstable on our servers and
desktops don't care about the releases. We simply continue to upgrade the
machines every now and then, year in and out no matter when someone decides to
release something or not. They're updated constantly. And thus we get the
bi-monthly releases once they're put into the Debian package system.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se