Subject: Re: supported targets : which ones to add

Re: supported targets : which ones to add

From: Karl Kurbjun <kkurbjun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 17:19:34 -0600

Yes, to run Rockbox you need a modified firmware that has an exploit
placed in the remix feature. I have a general understanding of how
the firmware update works (if a certain folder and file are on the
player it will run its update procedure and the image has a scrambling
algorithm applied to it). There are forum posts, code, and tools to
create your own patched firmware that you can use to update the
device. Once Jonathan has an image that can boot Rockbox direct then
the tools and information can be used to create an image that the OF
will take as an update. I have not messed with them since the Remix
vulnerability works well and acts as a program interface for the
M:Robe 500 so that you can boot Opie Linux, Rockbox, or a basic port
of MediOS.

-Karl