Subject: Re: Run a build client!

Re: Run a build client!

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_rockbox.open.source.it>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:01:03 +0100

On Monday 27 July 2009 11:31, alex wallis wrote:

> > On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, alex wallis wrote:
> >> Would a 1.80 ghz laptop with 512 mb of ram be any use to the system?
> >
> > Yes it would indeed. We have several much slower machines already
> > participating and they are doing good!
>
> OK, well I would be very happy to run a build client, but for the moment
> till either a version of the rockbox vmware image is made accessible or I
> can find an image with speech already added in I can't do anything.
>
> As unfortunately speech is needed in the image because a windows screen
> reader can't read anything in the image itself. So unfortunately I guess I
> need to find someone who can create a custom image for me with the speech
> installed.

Have you tried Orca recently (along with brltty if you also have a Braille
display)?

The version included in the current stable Debian 5.0 (Lenny) release is a
*lot* better than any I've tried previously, and for example enables a blind
user to open a terminal window and use all commands as normal, with speech
and/or Braille feedback about the output from the application, as you prefer.

I've never tried a screenreader under VMware, however provided it can access
the audio output of the host machine, and/or a serial/USB port, I see no
reason it can't work exactly as it would in a standard non-virtual
environment.

Hope this helps,

Antony.

--
If you can't find an Open Source solution for it, then it isn't a real
problem.