Subject: FS#10199: Limiter DSP function

FS#10199: Limiter DSP function

From: Jeff Goode <jeffg7_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:31:23 -0400

Hi guys,

The latest version of my limiter DSP was just posted this afternoon.
Its purpose is to amplify the signal by a user selectable amount, then
smoothly reduce gain for those samples that clip as a result. This
allows listening to dynamic material in noisy environments that could
drown out quieter passages, sort of a smart volume control.

This version is ready to commit, at least to see if it's going to break
on some targets, those with small amounts of IRAM for instance. It may
be the case that it should be disabled on some targets. I've been
running it on my Sansa E280 for a few weeks and it works well there.
I've streamlined the code so that when the process isn't active, it
doesn't affect normal operation. Unlike earlier versions, as long as it
isn't active, it's completely transparent to normal operation.

Please apply the patch to your favorite player and try it out for a
bit. I'd like the feedback and blessing of the dev group before
committing something this large.

Thanks,
Jeff