Subject: Adding RM support - Weekly update

Adding RM support - Weekly update

From: Mohamed Tarek <mtarek16_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:54:12 +0300

Greetings everyone!

This is probably the last weekly update you'll be getting from me, as the
"firm pencils-down date" is just 2 days away.

Here's an overview of what happened during the last week :
- Isolating the atrac3 decoder from ffmpeg and importing libatrac.
- Compiling libatrac with a test program to convert atrac3/rm files to wav.
- Converting libatrac to use fixed-point arithmetic.
- Writing the atrac3_rm codec for rockbox.

So now, we could probably say that we support atrac3 audio in rm, which also
seeks (atrac seeking is exactly like cook's). The problem is that it's still
very slow on many targets ( < 60% realtime).

Overall, this was a really nice experience for me, and I have definitely
learned a LOT. Thanks for everyone who'd helped me in any sort of way and to
my mentors Michael Giacomelli and Dave Chapman. I'm happy to have had the
chance to work with this community - which is, by the way, not bad at all :P
- and, as I said before on IRC, I'm planning on running away and
disappearing into thin air once gsoc ends.

J/K of course - I'll definitely stay around hoping I could contribute more
to rockbox. After all, I did mention something similar in my application. ;)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go ... do stuff - Bye ! :)

MT